Having a plan and thinking ahead about ways to be safe if you are in a dangerous or would-be dangerous relationship can be helpful.
Here are some things to think about in creating your own safety plan.
- What adult can you talk to about violence and being safe?
- What people at school can you tell in order to be safe--teachers, principal, counselors, security?
- What friends can you tell to help you remain safe?
- If stranded, who could you call for a ride home?
- Where could you go quickly to get away from an abusive person?
- What can you do to keep safe at after school activities?
- What other things can you do?
- Double date. If that is not possible, plan dates for public places.
- Before leaving on a date, have exact plans. Let a parent or friend know your plans.
- Be firm a straightforward in your relationships.
- Know and be able to communicate your boundaries.
- Trust your instincts.