People with disabilities are at high risk for abuse and neglect
Studies suggest that the disabled are at least 4-10 times more likely to be sexually assaulted than the general public 1.
Victims with disabilities experience 2:
- Abuse for a longer duration,
- Abuse by a greater number of rapists,
- A higher number of health care workers and attendants as the rapists,
- Fewer options for escaping or resolving the abuse.
Abuse and neglect involve:
- Using care-giving assistance as a means to assault, such as bathing and dressing
- Making someone trade personal care assistance for sexual favors
- Taking away personal communication devices
- Moving someone roughly (rough care)
- Walter, 1998
- Nosek, Howland, Chanpong and Rintala, 1997